
Not all things please us in this world. I will unveil what is the one of the most irritating habits I cannot stand, and well, hopefully you can learn something off what I'm gonna say.
The refusal to learn and be corrected.
Spending my time with such people really shortens my life. I am so tempted to name names, but well, but I value respect and confidentiality.
I have a habit in correcting the way my friends speak. English language, so as to speak. It hurts my ears when someone pronounces a word incorrectly or breaks some of the rules of the language. However, as years go by, I realize that I'm too tired going around correcting everyone. Many times I get so used to mistakes that I'm numbed.
Say what? I'm an ass that goes around pointing out mistakes? Gee, I'm helping!
There was this time when this person said, "but everyone pronounces that way!" Screw you. Why do you have to insist on doing the wrong thing when you know it's wrong? Not that I'm so good in English that I become and ass. It's a case when you know you are wrong! I cannot stress the point enough that I'm helping, guiding you out of the narrow path.
Common mistake. Salmon is pronounced as Sair-mon, don't be so rhotic when it comes to the "r" though. No kidding, do a check and you will realize you've been pronouncing it wrongly. Until today, no one actually believes me that it's pronounced that way. Tsk tsk.
The salmon lesson aside, do you know why most Sinaporeans speak and write bad English? Because the moment one attempts to speak proper Enliglish, he/she gets mocked. Isn't it sad? I'm not telling you to pick up the American accent or the cute strong English accent (English accent means British accent, but it's wrong to say the latter one). I'm just saying it's good enough to speak straight English. Omit the lah, liao, loh and you'll do good.
Some ignorant douche bags would then tell me, "This is Singapore what". Such a convenient excuse.
Oishi,
Png.
No comments:
Post a Comment